On March 1st I put out a challenge to myself and others to complete a project that had been sitting in the “yet to do” pile; a pile that was getting on in years. I’ve completed my challenge! Twenty six days ahead of schedule! The pattern is Karen Neary’s 2006 “Anticipation.” The Red Hair Anne fabrics were from my 2008 trip out east. I must have purchased the pattern separately from the fabrics because I only had 1m cuts and fat quarters. No worries, I had this lovely soft brown to use in place of the blue in the pattern and with a few adjustments to the pattern I was able to make my 1m cuts work! I found the backing at Fabricana in Richmond last month. It’s perfect as it is simple wildflowers and the pantograph I had quilted on it was Wildflower. (To make pictures bigger just click on top of each picture.)
I made a couple of changes to the pattern, using flowers instead of a bow on the hat. Anne had at one time decorated her hat with wildflowers on her way to church…made Marilla cringe! I also added free flowing tips to the end of the braids as that is how I remember wearing my braids…only with Diana’s raven coloured locks, not Anne’s red. I added some hand made antique lace to the outside of the hat brim. I’d inherited it years ago and found it to be the perfect fit. This was a really fun quilt to make. I love the way the inner border and the blocks blend together…it is something that I have never done in all the quilts that I have made.
Perhaps if the next generation of girls growing up find out about Anne & Diana I just may have to make this quilt again. In the mean time, this quilt is going to a childhood friend of mine who has loved Anne of Green Gables since she was a little girl. She understands about “Kindred Spirits.”
Happy Quilting…Valerie Raye
Check out what Karen had to say: http://sewkaren-lycreated.blogspot.ca/2013/05/anticipation-revisited.html